Wednesday, October 12, 2005

What Do I Want?

I've been thinking about what I want from writing the book...

The first thing is - just to finish it! That would be a real achievement for me, so if that was as far as it got I'd still be happy.

But I know that if it does get finished I would desperately want someone to publish it. I would love to walk into a bookshop and see my book sitting on the shelves. And if that did happen, I'd be realistic about it. However much I dream about writing a bestseller for my first novel I know that's not likely to happen. The JK Rowlings of this world come along very rarely!

But my real desire sounds a bit odd I think...I want to make people cry.

I'm a right soppy mare about...well...everything! I cry at TV, films (I even cried at Terminator 2, I'm that bad!), pretty much anything you can think of. I've sobbed at books - and how embarrassing is that when you're sitting on a train!

I want people to laugh as well but I would love to write something powerful enough to make people cry.

10 comments:

Scottish Toodler said...

Making someone feel anything from your writing is an accomplishment. I don't think it's silly, I encourage you!!!! The one thing I've learned is, trust the story. Let it come on it's own and become whatever it is. I only really began to understand that recently. Anyhow, I love your blog!!!! That's writing!!!

Feena said...

I'm glad you like it, I'm enjoying writing it. :-) I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it, or if I could think of interesting things to say.

It's really encouraging when people leave comments so thank you all :-)

Feena said...

My lips are sealed ;-)

Yewtree said...

I cry at loads of stuff too (films and books and reality - the earthquake in Pakistan for example). Often what makes me cry is other people going out of their way to be nice and help other people. Like the time a few years ago that a bunch of Australians went out into the desert to free some illegal immigrants from a detention centre.

Rand said...

I want my book, now several years into the process, to be published as well. But I also want to enjoy writing it too. And I can tell the difference in the writing when I'm deeply into the process of writing versus when I'm trying to force it.

The experience I want my readers to have? Hope. Positive energy for the future. A belief that they can make a difference in the quality of their own lives, that they and they alone truly own their experience.

Ben Varkentine said...

I'm with ya. I'm currently cirling around the idea of starting a novel myself.

But, for me, I tend to shy away from any grandiose proclimations of the experience I want my readers to have.

I don't know that I think my book will (or any book can) change anyone's beliefs.

Mostly, I just want people to care about my characters and be compelled to finish their story.

Anything and everything else is cake.

Feena said...

Hi Ben, thanks for commenting :-)

As long as people reading my book feel something - apart from apathy - I'll be happy.

Scottish Toodler said...

No new posts? :o(

Susan said...

Oh don't give up on your dreams. I have often said that I wanted to write a book as well and see it published. I haven't thought of anything to write about yet. I better get busy as I am not getting younger. LOL! I be interesting in reading some for input if you like.

Feena said...

I'm back again, just had a bit of a Blog-block :-)

If you have a dream to write a book too, you should go for it! And age doesn't matter anyway. If I can do it anyone can :-)