Thursday, November 03, 2005

Tagged

My first ever Tag has come from rand!!

"Name five foods, dishes or otherwise, that were a part of your childhood, and that you sometimes miss when nostalgia gets to you..."

These are all memories from my childhood before I was nine years old, which was when we moved house. I don't really remember foods in that nostalgic way after that.

Fishfingers, mashed potato and peas
I always came home for lunch when I was at primary school because I lived next door (no excuse for being late!). I'm sure my Mum did make other meals for me, but this is the only one I remember. I watched Mr Benn, Fingerbobs and Rupert Bear while I was eating it, and made castle walls with the mashed potato. Then back off to school again.

Pink Sugar Mice with white string tails
Used to buy these on the way to school - very bad for me, and therefore delicious!

Hotdogs made by my Dad, overfilled with oily onions
We used to go to an old 1860s fort by the sea on summer Sundays and we always took the same thing for lunch. I used to search for crabs with a net in the rock pools. Happy times.

Tomato soup in a white polystyrene cup
This one is very seasonal (if you're English at least). Bonfire night celebrations at my primary school. I don't remember the bonfire or the fireworks, just the hot baked potatoes wrapped in tin foil and thick florescent orange soup.

Thick pea soup with real peas in it
This is nostalgic in a bad way I guess. I don't remember much about it, but my Dad and I were knocked down by a car when we were crossing the road. He broke his ankle, I got dragged along for a while on my face. When it happened people took us into a nearby petrol station until the ambulance came. I was crying a lot so they gave me a bright orange plastic beaker to take my mind of it. No lasting damage *smile* but I couldn't eat properly for days. I used to have pea soup in my beaker that I drank through a straw, and the peas kept getting stuck in the straw! I wouldn't use a bowl or a mug - it had to be that beaker! I only threw it out a couple of years ago, after nearly 30 years.

I think this is my longest post so far. Thanks for the tag rand :-)

6 comments:

Scottish Toodler said...

That was so cool!! I feel like I knew young Feena!!! I bet you were such a sweet kid. Are fishfingers like fish sticks?? We had tomato soup in cups and potatos in the fire too, but camping or at football games (American football). GREAT POST!!!!

Feena said...

Thanks Toodler, I was too sweet maybe! Fishfingers are oblong pieces of fish covered in breadcrumbs, is that what fish sticks are?

All day I've been thinking of loads of stuff from when I was little...it's been good.

Rand said...

Yes, that's what fish sticks are. Thanks for sharing. I could go for a bowl of creamy tomato soup right now. mmm

By the way, can they make pea soup without real peas?

Feena said...

Not sure, but I'm pretty certain there aren't any real peas in chip shop mushy peas...just something radioactive green and lumpy!!

Susan said...

Well, it's about time you lived up to your expectations. LOL! My Mom use to make fish sticks and I didn't like them. Now that you talked about Pea soup I want some. I like little bits of ham in it.

Feena said...

Ooooh that sounds lovely, I'm up for some real pea and ham soup.