Monday, November 07, 2005

50,000 Words in One Month

Well...I'm not going to achieve it this month. I've only managed 2014 words so far! I'm working hard on my sewing to try and get done by the end of the month. I'll have to carry on trying in December (and probably January!) I'm using a free programme I downloaded to write in and it adds up all the words as I go along so I'm going to continue using that.

It's called yWriter and I'm finding it really good. It took me a while to figure out how it works (what can I say - I'm dozy!) but I think I've got it sorted it now :-)

Features:
Organise your novel using a 'project'.
Add files to the project, each containing a chapter.
Add a summary to each file, showing the scenes in each chapter.
Print out summary cards, showing the structure of your novel.
Display the word count for every file in the project, along with a total.
Saves a log file every day, showing words per file and the total. (Tracks your progress)
Saves automatic backups at user-specified intervals.
Allows multiple scenes within chapters
Viewpoint character, goal, conflict and outcome fields for each scene.
Storyboard view, a visual layout of your work.
Re-order scenes within chapters.
Move scenes from one chapter to another.
Automatic chapter renumbering.

13 comments:

Ben Varkentine said...

Ha! I'm at 7,627! Neener!

(Although, to be fair, I'm adapting a story I've already written in two or three different forms into a novel format. So I'm working with characters I already know like, as they say, the back of my hand and I have most of the journey mapped out already)

I have just started to think about where to put those chapter breaks, though...

Feena said...

*sulks @ ben* ;-)

Hehe...I'll get there eventually. I've worked a lot on planning out my novel but not written any of it before now. I suppose I should be getting up at 5 am every day to write if I really wanted to get there this month.

Do you think you'll make 50,000?

Ben Varkentine said...

Actually, probably not. I'm only sort-of doing the November novel writing thing--I figured it was a good excuse to start writing a draft.

But I'm not gonna flog myself if it's not 50,000 by the end of the month (it probably won't even be finished).

Feena said...

I'm the same, I've spent quite a lot of time writing the Prologue but none at all on the main body of the book.

I thought this would be a good incentive and would kick-start me - I think I was getting into the torture a tad too much ;-)

Ben Varkentine said...

I always try to remember that the worst piece of shit I've ever read is better than the best *unfinished* piece I've ever read.

I find I have to get something down on paper (or screen) and finished so I have something to work with.

Then I revise, revise, revise.

Unknown said...

That's a lot of writing! I attempted to write a children's book once...and 1 page into it I threw it out! I'm just not patient enough.

Susan said...

This is why I didn't sign up this time. I can't think at this time of the year with so much going on. Maybe when the holiday is over.

Feena said...

Thanks Bob, that’s really encouraging : -) Did it take long to write them, did you spend a lot of time revising them?

Our college lecturer warned us not to get bogged down in re-drafting too much. If we did't send it off until we felt we’re happy with it, it would probably never get sent off to a publishers!!

Scottish Toodler said...

Hi Feena!! Sounds like you are doing great!! Thanks for all the tips on the programme, I am going to check it out on the home computer!!! You should post some TWH tidbits for us!!!!

Feena said...

*smiles* the only problem is, I think it's okay when I read it, but putting it out there means that people will read it and maybe tell me it's rubbish!

That's not false modesty, it's what I worry about :-)

Rand said...

Thanks for posting the tip about ywriter. I'll check it out. Also, great ideas in the comments here too. Much appreciated.

Ben Varkentine said...

Just as a side note...that's one of the ways I know that George Lucas is not a writer (I mean, aside from his dialogue).

He just can't leave his work alone. With all my stuff, there comes a moment when I have to say, for better or for worse, this is *done*, and I have to move on to the next thing.

That moment may come sooner or it may come later, but I think it should come.

Feena said...

Thanks for all the comments :-)

I really appreciate you all taking the time to post.