Wednesday, September 13, 2006

September

Start of the new school and college year. A couple of years ago I took a college course, "Writing and Publishing", and I wanted to do another one. The only creative writing courses that my local collage are running are during the day - obviously only unemployed or retired people want to write creatively!

I'd thought about doing an online course for a while, and I did the free short F2K course at the beginning of the year. One thing that had put me off was the cost. But then I thought, I was happy to pay £40 for the ten week course at the local college, so what's the difference of paying for an online one? I've joined the Writers' Village University for a year, and it doesn't cost that much more.

There are over 200 courses available, of varying lengths. My first one is four weeks long and starts today...

Basics to Create Dynamic Characters
How can you ensure your reader will care about your characters? Are your characters three dimensional or are they flat and lifeless? This course will show you step by step how to create memorable characters which will captivate your reader.

I'm going to do what I did before, and post my assignments here as well as on my WVU class posting board. I'm excited about doing the courses, I feel like it will give me a real kick-start to my writing, and stop me prevaricating.

So I might actually manage to write in my blog a bit more! If I don't post you'll have to nag me to make sure I'm doing my homework!!

3 comments:

Judy said...

Hi... visiting from Timeless Tales at WVU. I'm looking forward to reading your assignments and getting to know you.

pulpm= Pumpkins often lie pleasantly mauled.

Feena said...

Thanks Judy :-)

I'm looking forward to working at my writing too.

Rand said...

And maybe your audience will learn something too from the lessons from the class. Please share with us. Thanks.