Friday, September 15, 2006

Basics to Create Dynamic Characters - Lesson 1

The first assignment is looking at the names we've picked for our characters.

My novel is a ghost story with aspects of witchcraft/paganism in it. There are four primary characters, two are from the 17th century and two from the present day.

My present-day main character's name is Annie, and I'm not sure where I got the idea from for that (I've been planning this book for years!). Her daughter is called Rose (Rosie). Originally I was going to call her Caitlin (Cait), because I like the name, but I decided it didn't look so good written down. I've joined a Wiccan Forum and been given a lot of help and advice from one of the Mods there. Part of her online name is Rose, so I decided to use that, and I think a flower name fits in well with the pagan aspects of the book.

The main character from the 17th century is called Cramer. He is a Witch-finder, and I took his name from one of the authors (Heinrich Kramer) of a witch hunter's handbook called "Malleus Maleficarum" ("The Hammer of Witches") which was published @ 1486. The title of my novel is "The Witches' Hammer" so I thought using his name was a nice reference to that. The other 17th century character is Rachel, one of Annie's ancestors, who Cramer burnt as a witch. As with Annie, I'm not sure where I got the idea for her name from.

5 comments:

Ben Varkentine said...

I like my character names to mean something if you look them up on one of those name sites or books, even though I can't always remember what that is.

For instance one of my characters has the last name Neal - "Variant of NEIL, From the Gaelic name Niall, which is of disputed origin, possibly meaning "champion."

- and that character is something of a champion.

By the way, another of my characters is named Annabel AKA Annie.

Hands off my name, you thief. ;-)

Rand said...

Sounds like a good start. Very intriguing storyline.

One point of concern: Cramer

The name immediately evokes a very popular character of another sort. Despite Seinfeld ending, I'm pretty sure it will impact your readers. Perhaps there's a better choice?

Feena said...

:-p @ Ben *lol*

Thanks rand, I don't watch Seinfeld so I hadn't thought of that. I'll maybe re-think it because my character is definately not funny.

It's coming up to the first anniversay of my blog at the end of this month, and it struck me that I haven't actually said much about the plot of my book, and the book was the whole reason I started this blog in the first place!

Hopefully that should change over the next few weeks :-)

thistledown said...

John Kincaid was a famous "witch finder" in the 1600's in Scotland.He became very wealthy using the "pricking" method to determine who was a witch.He was later accused of using trickery and denounced as a fraud.Not much help for those he'd already accused and sent to their deaths.You may consider using his name in your book, Feena.Might add a little ring of authenticity.

Feena said...

Thanks thistledown :-)

That's a really good idea to use a real person, and it fits the time period of the Prologue perfectly.

I've been thinking of using a "pricker" as an important element in the book so it could work brilliantly

*goes off to Google*