Monday, September 10, 2007

Feeling better.....

She's not replied to my last comment but I've posted some 'Final Thoughts' on leaving the class.
* * * *

Thanks for the various feedback you've all given me - it's been interesting and thought-provoking.

It concerned me that you feel that to write those specific scenes was pathological. I discussed it with a friend of mine who is a children's author and one of the points he made is that history can be ugly and sometimes it's necessary to reflect that.

The scenes I have written are set in the correct era and based on contemporary accounts. These scenes are not set in the present nor the future and I believe that to write about this subject and not reflect what actually happened does a great disservice to the thousands of people who were subjected to it.

I am not talking here about whether an individual wishes to read about this, or indeed any other subject. This is purely a statement on writing about it.

Would you feel the same if my story was set in the concentration camps of World War II, or indeed The Killing Fields in Cambodia (see Lesson 3).

I don't know if you'll be able to come back here to read this, but I felt I needed to say it.

Thanks for your time
* * * *

She may not come back to read it, or post a response, but I feel better!!

No comments: